Peep the ingredient list on some of your favorite moisturizing skincare products, and chances are, you’ll find sweet almond oil in the fine print. Why? Well, because the nourishing oil is lightweight and can work wonders on a variety of skin concerns — from eczema to wrinkles. That’s why we included it in our best-selling BYO Blush Oil, which contains over 20 skin-loving oils that help to hydrate, repair, and protect. Today, as part of our #IngredientCheck series, we’re breaking down the specific benefits of sweet almond for the skin, with insight from a board-certified dermatologist.
Let’s dive right in, shall we? Keep reading to find out how this lovely nut-derived elixir can help your skin.
How sweet almond oil benefits skin
According to Joshua Zeichner, MD, a board-certified dermatologist based in New York City, sweet almond oil has actually been used for centuries to treat various skin conditions and concerns, including eczema, psoriasis, and yes — even wrinkles. “Sweet almond oil is rich in both oleic and linoleic acids, which offers skin protection and hydration,” says Zeichner. “There's also data to suggest that it provides anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits, preventing UV-induced skin damage.” Additionally, Zeichner says even though the oil comes from a tree nut, it’s completely safe to use in skincare products.
Sweet almond oil is also very light and non-comedogenic (so it won’t clog your pores! woo!), so it's a great option for all skin types, including sensitive and breakout-prone. Packed with vitamins — including A and E — as well as essential fatty acids, proteins, potassium, and zinc, it provides the epidermis with a bulk of nutrients that aids in keeping the skin barrier strong and healthy.
8 ways to use sweet almond oil in your skincare routine
The best part about sweet almond oil is that it's super multi-functional, so you can use it for a variety of different skin-related things. Ahead, find eight ways you can use sweet almond to amp your skincare routine.
- As a makeup remover. Use sweet almond oil to gently break down your maquillage at the end of the day.
- For cleansing. In addition to breaking down makeup, sweet almond oil can help rid the skin of dirt, debris, and bacteria that builds up throughout the day. And it won't ever leave the skin feeling stripped — just soft and nourished.
- As a moisturizer. Sweet almond oil makes for a great lightweight moisturizer because it's gentle and loaded with nourishing agents like vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant that helps stave off premature signs of aging.
- As a treatment for dry spots. If you have any dry, flaky patches of skin, try applying a dime-sized amount of sweet almond oil directly to the area and let it sink in and do it's thing overnight. You should wake up to significantly smoother skin.
- To fight acne. Believe it or not, sweet almond oil can help minimize breakouts because it regulates sebum production and removes unwanted impurities that get trapped in our pores and lead to pimples.
- To smooth wrinkles. In addition to containing ingredients that help prevent fine lines and wrinkles, sweet almond oil can also aid in smoothing the appearance of existing lines.
- To soothe irritation. If your skin is feeling angry and inflamed, sweet almond oil can help due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- To lock in your skincare. If your skin is on the drier side, try applying sweet almond oil as the last step in your routine; it helps prevent moisture loss and can make your other products work even better.
Sweet almond oil in BYO Blush
As we already pointed out above, we made the specific choice to include sweet almond oil in our BYO Blush formula because it has a well-spring of benefits for the skin — and well, that's basically what we're all about here at Youthforia. It's just one of the luscious, skin-soothing oils that gives BYO it's luxuriously smooth texture and sheen-y finish. And it's safe to say the formula wouldn't be the same without it.
Done reading? Shop BYO Blush Oil here. 💥